Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Welcome....

After so long considering what to do about my grievances, musings, thoughts and bitchings; so long having them wrapped up in my sweet little mind, I've decided to unleash them on the world. No man, woman, child, Political Party, NGO, pub, club, venue or publication will be spared if they cross my path.

The life of a gay twenty something in this fair country is something I think has been neglected in Irish Media outlets. Sure we have bars, clubs, youth groups but do people really know what the "scene" (shudder) is or even more intriguing the non-scene? What really goes on inside the rainbow flagged doors of this country? And aside from that most visual of places, do people know what being Gay means in the context of 21st century Ireland?

This isn't a blog about being gay, worry not dear readers. That was just to set the background of where my life presently sits along this mortal coil. My life isnt dictated by sexuality, but I am fascinated by those lives which are. But my current mood means that I need a rant.... thats out of the way for the moment though.

Today I took a holiday...I needed one....badly. I work in an outbound call centre for god's sake. With the possible exception of the Fire Service, its about as close as you can get to hell. Add to that, that I am in the final week of rehearsal for a play that has taken so much out of me in the last 5 weeks, I can't wait for it to finish. Dolly West's Kitchen, by Frank McGuinness. Frank who is now the resident writer in UCD, is a bit of an odd creature. We're never quite sure what he's trying to say, which is a bit of a balls really, espeacially for me.

But alas it does deal with a lot of "deep shit" as some might say. Very deep...so deep I'm afraid to explain it to my mother as it mirrors an all to familiar situation in my own reality.

We're close now though, and its taken on a life of its own......Donegal never sounded so risquee...



2 comments:

sarahstrikes said...

I'm confused by this rant. It doesnt really reach any specific point. It explains what you wish to rant about but never actually gets there. Like a bad sexual encounter. I am very fascinated by people who aren't consumed by sexuality and thier own representation of it. I'd believe that people that don't let there lives be dictated by thier representation of sexuality would live very productive lives. I know my obseession with these matters are a hinderince to my own developement and I would love to experience a life not hung up on such frivolities. But then again maybe I wouldnt!
I really look forward to seeing your play and listening to your quirky donegal accent. I'm sure all your weeks of hard work will pay off.
On a lighter note I've just realised the irony of my earlier comments and resign myself to the fact that a rant is by its very nature not supposed to make sense or reach a 'point' as it were.
DOLLY WEST'S KITCHEN ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff R said...

Pointless rants are what make the world go round... but the blog itself is the result of the rant and therefore its point. All will be revealed in a drip feed like way as the weeks go by, I promise!